Abs pump

loosecannon

Newbie
Joined
Sep 30, 2026
Points
3
Hoping someone can chime in.
97 1.9l 5spd. Replaced abs pump and getting a fault code on dash. Seems the pump was from an automatic they share the same part #34511164095.
Reflash abs module, or find one from a manual car? Tough to remove the module without taking the whole pump back out and re beeding everything. No idea on a bmw tech near me. Car works fine, thinking of maybe selling and need warning light off.
Bobcaygeon, ON
 

Attachments

  • 20260928_161329.webp
    20260928_161329.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 5
Yes, always code a replacement ABS to the car.

You will need INPA and it's associated tools. Get it from the link below.

Fully read post one in that thread, There are instructions for doing the coding in there too.

 
On a 97 you will have the older abs pump without the square bolt on module these pumps do not really like to talk to modern code readers you will need some retro tech .
The newer pumps are much happier to talk but as said if you change it needs coding to car .
Later pump is same needs coding to make traction control work big plus with later is if module is issue you can unbolt it without breaking into the hydraulic system.

Just for reference.
Old asc pump
20261001_204209.webp


Later asc pump
20261001_204306.webp


As @NZ00Z3 has said next step is to try coding it in before you condem the replacement unit.

Stephen.
 
Thx for the advice, I'm way more mechanical than techy so I'd be hesitant, and worried I'd screw something else up. But I may give it a go, I have the 20 pin, just need to order the k+dcan.
Not that I trust it, but Ai suggests if I get a module from another 5spd, all should work without any coding. I do see the 2 torx holding the module to my pump, taking those out by feel will take some patience, more of the reinstall I'd be concerned. Guess I need to do more homework.
 
Back
Top