BMW Vanos

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
" a cold British winter morning, roof down" you're crazy!
It has been said on many occasions, but not so much about the roof down bit :bag:

This was when I had my Z4 with, so no chance of cracking the rear screen. Didn't have a temperature gauge in my first Z3 so no idea how cold it was - usually put the roof up when I couldn't stop the teeth from chattering :meh:

Minus3.jpg

FluxMorz

Zorg Addict
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
M44
Roof down on a cold winter morning is far far south of sane in my eyes. I love having the roof down, but daaaamn!

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
The only excuse I use for NOT dropping the hood is rain or it is a cracking risk lowering the hood under 10 degrees. @GazHyde I didn't realize you had a Z4! Good to see you back with a 3.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
The only excuse I use for NOT dropping the hood is rain or it is a cracking risk lowering the hood under 10 degrees. @GazHyde I didn't realize you had a Z4! Good to see you back with a 3.
I had both at the same time for about a year. Fantastic car, but didn't make me smile as much as the Z3 so sold it to a mate.

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Having the roof down on a scorchingly hot day, like it is today over here and getting hotter over the next two days, on long trips, I keep the roof up. Also, traveling on the motorway with the roof down is not much fun. Oh, and in the winter I have the hardtop....

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
When it's really hot and humid roof up air con on.:)

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
do the aircons work well in the z3? i turned mine on and some cooler air came out but not cold. i def need it looked at.

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Also Tony, did you know that you can blow up your unit doing that?

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
I remember going out on @billz doing a cruise early January a few years ago just after new year and we were all out tops downs in minus temperatures with snow and ice on the roads up on the moors, it was a fantastic day and very exhilerating. The good thing about the Z3 is the heater is very powerful and you can keep yourself toasted even when the temps drop quite low with the roof down.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Mine does Coop's, very cold. Not sure what Mike meant.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Perhaps your needs a regas as they can lose gas pressure over time, and when it get to a certain point the pressure switch in the system knows there isn't enough to operate the cooling and shuts the compressor down by disconnecting the power to the compressor pulley clutch unit.

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
Perhaps your needs a regas as they can lose gas pressure over time, and when it get to a certain point the pressure switch in the system knows there isn't enough to operate the cooling and shuts the compressor down by disconnecting the power to the compressor pulley clutch unit.
Thanks @t-tony the compressor still kicks in and it cools a bit, there is no bad noise or anything alarming, so I think a re-gas is required as you suggested. I hope that is all to it. Darn, just realized it probably has R22 in it??? Wonder if they will want to convert it to R134a which will cost me a shiny penny.

Z

zedonist

Wow missed a lot have I not........

The CAI is not about performance it's about drive ability on the M44, the standard air intake starts from the left hand side (driver in uk) goes up over the radiator, down and up into the air box, this causes a stutter around 3000-3500 revs and then the car seems to take off up to redline, the CAI is just one of the options, to remove the convoluted air intake, you can also FOG the original air box http://bmwz3diys.weebly.com/fogged-air-box-mod-19-m44.html

Both give the same result, one gives you an intake growl though :D

Doing this gives you smooth delivery right up to red line.

You don't need to go to DASC for extra power, in order to get sub 9 second performance, just fog your air box, fit a free flow exhaust, have it chipped and fit a single mass aluminium flywheel. This will give the impression of adding 25bhp to your car overall

This will put a grin on any M44 owners face

Z

zedonist

I fogged the airbox, it does work, I gave mine to another member when I fitted the i57

Z

zedonist

I did exactly as you said, I turned the pipe 90 degrees and picked up a cold feed from the resorvoir side of the rad, you will need to remove the blanking plate from the lower bumper mouth

Z

zedonist

Having the roof down on a scorchingly hot day, like it is today over here and getting hotter over the next two days, on long trips, I keep the roof up. Also, traveling on the motorway with the roof down is not much fun. Oh, and in the winter I have the hardtop....
So basically you don't have the roof down......