BMW Vanos

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
As far as I'm aware the 4cylinder engines didn't get VANOS. I'm sure someone from the [USERGROUP=12]@M44 Massive[/USERGROUP] can confirm though!

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
no? I got a bit of a kick off mine yesterday Garry and figured it was vanos yo lol
You just experienced the M44 that's all! Catches everyone out I've heard...

Z

zedonist

Yes no vanos, the kick was probably the strangled air box. You get a lull and then kick at about 3500 revs, put a cai kit on and get full smooth acceleration.

David Cullen

Zorg Legend
Supporter
The M44 Massive
was looking at the stupid air intake system they have and thinking of getting rid of the pipe going across the rad and just re piping the feed to the air box with something a bit more viable.... even if the feed from the grill was a solid piece it wouldn't be so bad, but that silly pipe going across the rad is a joke

FluxMorz

Zorg Addict
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
M44
Seems (little bit I've read in the past, and reinforced by another quick search tonight) that you can increase the intake by 3 " and upgrade the exhaust for smoother acceleration, but the CAI changes are just money wasted, or so I'm reading. Only REAL way to get more out of the M44 (as its already pretty much as good as an engine that size gets apparently) is to go for the GKD, Dinan or Downing Atlanta super charger set ups.

David Cullen

Zorg Legend
Supporter
The M44 Massive
ha going in to a whole new ball game there Flux, im keeping mine simple and just making minor changes that will help the engine, not concerned about big power etc cos its not going to happen with this engine + all you are doing by looking at chargers or turbos etc is looking at a world of pain and deep pockets :) keep it simple and enjoy the car for what it is, look after it and have her looking fresh 24/7 :) that's my advice after playing with cars for the past twenty odd years ;-)

FluxMorz

Zorg Addict
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
M44
That is, more or less, my approach too I guess. I'm certainly intrigued by the SC route, but my commitment to the idea of actually doing anything about that is shaky at best. When looking at CAI kits though, all you're really going to get is a 'faster' sound - or so I'm reading.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
The main problem with Cold Air Induction is that it involves the need for cold air. Seen so many incorrect interpretations of CAI as well.

Below is the Simota Carbon Fibre induction kit (pic below) I fitted to my 2.0 6cyl. The filter is enclosed, and the carbon fibre shroud tucks right up against the incoming air flow around the head lights. Didn't get any perceivable improvement in power, but the engine would rev much smoother through the gears. I also fitted an Eisenmann back box on the exhaust which also made things run smoother.

Best bit though was on a cold British winter morning, roof down in the countryside. Not any faster, but sounded awesome! :ymdevil:

David Cullen

Zorg Legend
Supporter
The M44 Massive
well it will of course improve the air intake compared to the stock system so in that sense you are gaining but your better off sourcing the parts and making your own using a bit of piping and the likes of a K&N filter, even a drop in upgraded filter into the existing air box with just a better feed will be a better job :)
if you are looking for better gains from simple bolt ons an exhaust system will give you results, expensive bolt on though... bang for buck id be looking at making the driveability of the car better with the likes of uprated bushes and some bracing, make the car a whole lot for fun :) not that its not fun and dosent handle well as it is but there is room for improvement :)