Z3 1.9 Project - Parts Manual

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
no there was a step between the timing case cover and the cylinder head.

have a look at the video and you will see what i mean that timing case cover is sitting 1mm higher than the mating surface of the cylinder head, have spoken to another member earlier and he confirmed his has a step in it too...

its quite a notable step and while i know i can splodge some instant gasket there i would prefer it to be a little more level

Sean Hilton

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Will have a look at mine in morning, and see how my cover fits , and see if I have problem you have, got to be honest I haven't noticed it on mine

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
ok thanks be good to know... too..
Will have a look at mine in morning, and see how my cover fits , and see if I have problem you have, got to be honest I haven't noticed it on mine
i suspect its just manufacturing tolerances and i am being a bit anal about it..

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
On a thick rubber gasket it's not so critical as when you're using a paper gasket etc.

Tony.

Last edited:

D R Oldfield

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
just bought a DVD on ebay for a fiver its suppose to contain all the workshop manuals and service info for all the z3 range , i will report back when it arrives

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
when i removed the rocker cover there was no sealant previously on there and it came off ok... i see no reason to put anything on there, and the only leaks i had were from the spark plug holes where oil was going down there.... all new gaskets and rubbers going to be put on... but there is a noticable lip betweent the two machined surfaces.... just hoping the new rubber gasket will take up that 1mm difference in levels between the two surfaces or should i use a rtv type sealant ?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
can you expand a bit on this please Tony ?
Sorry Al, Mike sent me a PM asking if I actually meant NOT so critical, which I did. The forum crashed around the time I was doing it and I've only just come back to it mate.

Tony.

ps. I often use a blob of silicone in such places. It can't hurt.

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
...... i see no reason to put anything on there, and the only leaks i had were from the spark plug holes where oil was going down there....
I may have missed something in earlier comments but TIS states to use Drei Bond 1209 on rocker cover seal. I used it when I did mine and also used some on other side of seal to hold while landing cover which is awkward at the rear end if cable rack is still in place. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...1-engine/11-12-cylinder-head-with-lid/BQnXCmH

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
quick update on the issue of the step between the cylinder head and timing chain joint, Stevo sent me link on how to preload the timing chain cover with a screw driver and something on top of the timing cover case to prevent marring it.

Fortunately the top timing case cover can be loosened by loosening X11 10mm bolts they are all accessible without removing the thermostat some with a ratchet spanner and some with a 10mm socket and ratchet then the timing case can be budged / bodged / podgered, shifted, down to reduce the amount of step between the two mating surfaces, the hard part is preloading it and doing up the cover while its loaded up, the step in mine was 1mm both sides initially and now i managed to get it down to 0.45mm and 0.67mm still not flush but much better than original.

Makes me wonder whether my car has at some stage had the head gasket done so lowering the cylinder head making that step bigger

I suppose the top of the timing cover could be machined by a small amount to bring the both surfaces closer or the holes in the timing cover elongated more, or as what most seem to do fill the gap with rtv to take up the clearance.

just thought i share this as may be useful at some stage to someone

Al.