Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
:)Hi guys how do I tell if the roof micro switch is no good

Thanks

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
You can short it out at the connector behind passenger's left shoulder.
IIRC 1or 2 screws hold a trim cover in place near the ram.
Take that off and there is a connector block for the microswitch.
Short the 2 down coming wires out and you will know of it is the hood micro that's causing the problem.
The other possibility is the brake light switch above the pedal.

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
Here's a couple of pics that may help

Hammers

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
Hi Titan I'm new to this how do I short it out sorry ?

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
No problem - we were all new once!
In the picture above the white connector was attached to the roof micro switch. Because the switch was duff, I cut the connector off ( you can just see the the cut end of one of the thinner black wires)
I then pushed a loop of new wire (the thicker black one) into the back of the terminals and secured it to the original wires with a cable tie.
If I then reconnect this to the socket below the mounting point, it fools the system into think the micro switch is operative.

Be careful though, you still need to crank the front lip of the roof before operating the motor otherwise the mechanism doesn't fold and articulate properly.
If you operate the hydraulic motor without first cranking the front lip, you can sprain and distort the whole roof.

(All this little trick did was buy me time to get a new micro switch ordered and delivered)

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
No problem - we were all new once!
In the picture above the white connector was attached to the roof micro switch. Because the switch was duff, I cut the connector off ( you can just see the the cut end of one of the thinner black wires)
I then pushed a loop of new wire (the thicker black one) into the back of the terminals and secured it to the original wires with a cable tie.
If I then reconnect this to the socket below the mounting point, it fools the system into think the micro switch is operative.

Be careful though, you still need to crank the front lip of the roof before operating the motor otherwise the mechanism doesn't fold and articulate properly.
If you operate the hydraulic motor without first cranking the front lip, you can sprain and distort the whole roof.

(All this little trick did was buy me time to get a new micro switch ordered and delivered)
And most are passed their best before dates now!! JIM

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
You can just replace the switch body using the Maplin substitute but it may not be the only problem. Fractured wires running through the roof mechanism down to the connector can also produce the same symptoms as a defective switch.