Z4 MR

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Difficult to see properly from photo but it looks as if the one of the hood folds is not uniform. If you have a slight distortion/creasing in the folds it will not sit down properly. I do not have the luxury of a motorised roof but occasionally I have same problem. I just raise the hood slightly and run my hand across to shape each fold and then it will sit fully down. If previous suggestions do not work it may be worth a try when in manual mode.

David Cullen

Zorg Legend
Supporter
The M44 Massive
ok thanks guys, I think the fluid level is good, the folds are fine and I can hear the micro switch working, I will have a closer look at all three tomorrow, I presume the brake switch dosent come in to play in this instance? my initial guess was hydrolic fluid but it looks ok :-/ will investigate some more, thanks guys ;-)

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
hi David,

had exactly the same problem with mine,

the brake switch is part of the circuit as you cannot open or close the hood without depressing the brake pedal, so worth an inspection but if this was the problem you wouldn't get any movement at all so my opinion is its almost certainly not that.
generally though the main culprit is the microswitch in the centre of the roof fold, its on the passenger side on UK cars, my advice is to undo the torx bolts to get to it and disconnect it and short the wires together,its really easy and should take about 5 mins...if then it all works you have a choice to make....

http://zroadster.org/articles/bmw-z3-hood-micro-switch-replacement.52/

or just leave the wires shorted together if you go for this option,IMPORTANT INFO! and disclaimer...you will have to remember to manually lift your hood the first bit when opening, because if you forget and try to open it from a fully closed position you will buckle the frame..

good luck!

Last edited:

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
no worries..

FYI mine is without microswitch, I decided it was a weak point in the hood design and as long as I remember to manually lift the first little bit it wouldn't be an issue.

almost a year on and I have had no problems and always remember to do it, my only concern would be if I lend the car to the wife or someone who isn't aware of the issue but that never happens so not a concern.

best

Joe

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
Be careful guys. If you bypass the roof micro switch and then operate the pump without initially cranking the first section of the roof you will distort the whole mechanism. Then it won't fold properly.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Be careful guys. If you bypass the roof micro switch and then operate the pump without initially cranking the first section of the roof you will distort the whole mechanism. Then it won't fold properly.
Totally agree with Terry, however I think the frame has already been distorted and that is why you cannot lower the roof fully. I would check the roof frame around the area that the ram connects to the frame, this is located behind the passenger seat.