Problems running, hard to diagnose.

FluxMorz

Zorg Addict
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
M44
Hi all. I've been absent for a long time I'm sorry, talking cars isn't my talent I guess.

I'm having a very hard to diagnose problem. I don't know if this is answered somewhere or not, I haven't found anything that seems to fit. It happens only occasionally and nobody has ever been there when it happens...

My '97 M44 on some days kind of feels like its revving slightly unusually at low revs maybe a little rough in general. Sometimes (in all kinds of circumstances; highway speeds, urban speeds etc) the engine will just die (whether its dying or limp mode, I'm not sure) and usually after 3 or so seconds (with maintained throttle pressure) it clatters back to life again and off I'm going.

The other day it happened worse than usual (in the over-taking lane on a highway) and refused to be coaxed back to life. I heard a sound that was like it was trying to spark but nothing was igniting and I ended up pumping the pedal a bit. After 7 to 9 seconds (and almost being rear-ended) it came back to life with lots of popping sounds (petrol from me pumping the pedal?) and off it went.

I have given it to a mechanics shop a while back, and they did something... I've forgotten what that was. We have personally replaced the fuel filter, the air filter, the crank-angle sensor (not the cam-angle sensor) and have done possibly 1 or 2 other small things too but can't seem to get it.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
You can buy these readers off eBay for very little money. They can save you lots.:thumbsup:

Tony.