E89 Best e89 Z4 daily?

foh

I'm looking to buy an e89 Z4 roadster. I'm 24 and have a budget of around 8-9k.

What are some common things to look for and which engine is best?

Some people say go for the 6 pot and some swear by the 4 pot, what are some pros and cons of each?

For context, It will be my only car but I don't commute by car so it doesn't need to be super practical or economical.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Pond

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
For your budget you should get a decent N20 (4 pot turbo) or N52 (6 pot n/a).
Many people swear by the N52 engine, either in 23i guise (2.5l) or 30i (3.0l) as they seem pretty bulletproof and are capable of big miles if looked after all their life. Like many BMW engines, they can suffer with oil leaks from oil filter housings and cam covers. These are not complicated or expensive to fix.
The N20 is fitted to all the 4 cylinder models; 18i, 20i and 28i. It is identical in all apart from the mapping from the factory. There is a question mark over cam chains and especially guides. These are overly criticised on forums and the internet IMO as IF they have problems it is usually due to higher mileage and lack of proper maintenance.

The 4 pots are good engines IME, especially with a remap. Low down torque of the turbo makes them feel much quicker than they really are. They are economical too if driven sensibly. 40mpg average is possible. The N52 will struggle to reach 30mpg average.

Best advice is to try both engines. The 18i will feel utterly gutless in standard tune as the factory mapping strangles the engine. Re-mapped they are great.

The other thing to note is that all N52 models will be pre-facelift as they deleted the engine in 2011-12. All 18is are facelift models and 20i and 28i can be either.

More important than engine flavour IMO is to get a car that has been looked after and a) has no moisture inside, especially the bootwell and b) the roof is in good condition and works faultlessly. BMW charge for everything as an option, so look for desirable options. Heated seats, i-Drive, parking sensors, cruise control are all desirable options for selling on.

Check for damaged/ cracked wheels on MOT history. Several of the wheels fitted to E89s are infamous for cracking. Especially the 296 ands 326 19" variants.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
:welcome:

Here's my input.
I have the 23i (2.5 6 pot 204 BHP) old school engine carried over from the e85, nice exhaust note and its simple and reliable, but there's virtually nothing you can do to improve performance also there's not as many out there because they stopped using the 2.5 engine in about 2010 (ish)
If you want power, go for a 35 or 35is lots of BHP, big insurance and running cost I would assume.
The 4 pots are it appears very tuneable and there are a lot of them out there, I have driven a stock 20i (2 litre) and it went well if not a bit harsh. I have read that turbo seals can be an issue on the 4 pots but can't really confirm this.
The hardtop roof is one of the biggest issues on these cars they can and do fail, luckily I haven't had any issues to date.

• Check the roof works correctly and if fitted the comfort entry system.
  • Check self leveling headlights work, they should raise and lower on turn on, if not the link bars on the sensors / suspension arms have snapped or seized, I have seen both.
  • Check the boot (battery area) for any water/dampness walk away if there is, there are lots of others.
  • Service history, if none walk away.
  • Pre facelift check the rear LED indicators work and are not dirty. they had an issue with water ingress and LCI replacements are expensive.
  • If a 4 pot check for blue smoke from exhaust at start up or when reving, if any walk away.
  • Check all systems work, electric / heated seats, air con, etc.
e89 ownership is still low on this forum so it's worth you having a look at the Z4 forum there are sections dedicated to the e89 and lots of advice, not my favorite place as there are a lot of keyboard warriors but also a lot of genuine people ready to help and offer advice.

Z4 Forum Link

Last edited:

Pond

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
e89 ownership is still low on this forum so it's worth you having a look at the Z4 forum there are sections dedicated to the e89 and lots of advice, not my favorite place as there are a lot of keyboard warriors but also a lot of genuine people ready to help and offer advice.
TBH there are not many (if any) 'keyboard warriors', whatever they are, on the Z4 forum. Maybe I am one of them if there are!
But, yes, there is much more information and knowledge regarding the Z4 on there (obviously).

B21

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 35is
Hi there and welcome..I did have a 4 pot N20 20i MSport Auto for 4 years and 30k miles and now have a 6 pot twin turbo 35is which I've done about 25k miles over the last 3 years.

At your budget level you'll have plenty of choice of 23i which actually were pretty common in the UK around 2k on the DVLA database..about double that of N20 4 pots. 30i are now being more reasonably priced and are in your budget just..much more torquey than the 23i..

The 23i is pretty bombproof and apart from the issues mentioned seldom causes issues..the N20 prior to 2015 had a cam chain related issue that occasionally can catch people out and is a £1,000 plus exercise if you catch it in time.

As said the rear lights ent through 8 iterations, the faults are pretty obvious when its used.

There is a bewildering array of 'options' which some people find are essentials..eg heated seats in a convertible in the UK.

The 23i tend to be under spec'd..

As was said the Z4 Forum has more people that know about E89s but its culturally a bit different to this forum.

They are all great cars..it depends on what your bag is..I very much miss my 20i..it was re-mapped / re-turbo'd / LSD etc etc..went very very well and was very sweet handling..the 4 pot sound to me is just different..never hear folks complaining about 4 cylinder motorbikes..plus I always play music so not really interested in exhaust notes..

Maybe best to put up likely candidates for people to comment on!

Enjoy your search..

bombur

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 1.9 (M43)
This is a very interesting thread and if my Z3 is a no go then I will be in market for e89 after summer. Was thinking 3.0, but will keep a perspective and not be impulsive. But I do love my Z3 and will do my best to keep it on the road

B21

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 35is
This is a very interesting thread and if my Z3 is a no go then I will be in market for e89 after summer. Was thinking 3.0, but will keep a perspective and not be impulsive. But I do love my Z3 and will do my best to keep it on the road
No shortage of choice..buyers market 👌

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
TBH there are not many (if any) 'keyboard warriors', whatever they are, on the Z4 forum. Maybe I am one of them if there are!
But, yes, there is much more information and knowledge regarding the Z4 on there (obviously).
Disagree, but that's my opinion. 🤷‍♂️

RickyBobby

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
23i
I'm on my 4th E89 and I've owned the N52 and N20 engines - for me the N20 was a mistake. I missed the sound of the six cylinder and despite the 2013 20i model I owned having relatively low miles I just couldn't get used to the agricultural sound it made.

Service history is often a problem with these cars because of long service intervals and the fact that the service history is often recorded on the key.

The other issue is the paint finish on the roof - nearly everyone I have owned has had this issue and although it covered under warranty you only have 12 years to get it sorted. It's surprising how many owners never got this sorted because they were either unaware it existed or were unaware of the warranty. Look in the cor ers of the top roof panel for what's appears to be snail trails under the paint.

When you check the boot for water ingress make sure you have a look under the sponge that covers the motor - as you can imagine it has the ability to absorb water so give it a good squeeze.

They all have headlight washers but often they can be disconnected so check those and while you're at it have a good look at the panel gaps between the bu per and the bonnet - same on the rear.

In terms of options the original catalogues are readily available in pdf format for years 2009 - 2014 so worth familirising yourself with those to determine what's available and what you'd like. Personally I preferred the absence of iDrive but phone connectivity and heated seats are a must. The upgraded stereo is a nice to have but depends on you priorities. Electric seats were only available as standard in the twin turbo models so most are manual but adjustment is good and if it's just you driving you will only need to adjust it once.

I'd mention also mention something which I've learnt from having multiple cars is that all MSport models have the anthracite headlining but it can be ordered on the non-MSport - it's only a small point but it does seem to age much better than the standard headlining.

The last point to note is that the MSport models were only available from 2010 and try to avoid the adaptive suspension - it will fail and it is expensive :thumbsup:

My 1st - 2009 sDrive23i

IMG_20210105_143152.jpg

My 2nd - 2013 MSport 20i

20220111_112030-1.jpg

My 3rd - 2010 Msport 23i

20220327_154449.jpg

Current - 2009 sDrive 23i

20240318_101924.jpg

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I have to agree its the sound from the straight six which does it for me. Also, on the panel gaps too, I spent almost a day getting them to where I was really happy with them.
Mine had had the rear light units replaced before I got it. It's looking a lot different now than it did then.

Tony.

Pond

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
Disagree, but that's my opinion. 🤷‍♂️
Fair enough. If we all had the same opinions there would be no need for discussions on forums (or anywhere TBH).
I am a sucker for a good argument; sorry, discussion! ;)

Pond

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
Of course one MAJOR plus that an E89 has, no matter what spec it has or what is under the bonnet, is in the right colour it is one of the prettiest cars on the road (in my opinion of course).

Argyll Andy

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 - M40i
Of course one MAJOR plus that an E89 has, no matter what spec it has or what is under the bonnet, is in the right colour it is one of the prettiest cars on the road (in my opinion of course).
That‘s why it should be Valencia Orange ;)

I had a 23i and felt it was a bit underpowered, a 35is, below, well different altogether. They say the sweet spot in your budget is a 30i. Never driver a 20i so can’t comment. As said, buy on condition and spec, good luck with your search :thumbsup:

IMG_0605.jpeg
IMG_1976.jpeg

Pond

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
My three favourite colours for the E89 are Valencia Orange (as per Mr McD's photos above), Alpine White (cos it shows off the lines so well) and the Estoril Blue. I think the OP will struggle find an EB in his budget, as they were only available in 2016 as a 'run out' colour. The aerial on the blue one has a growth problem but we have been nurturing it and seems to be responding. :)
IMG_8963.JPG
IMG_9346.JPG