03 z4 top won't close

christian2932

2003 z4, the top won't close. Can hear a clicking noise but the motor it's self isn't doing anything. New to the car and not sure what it could be. Sounds like a constant clicking noise. Appreciate any input thank you

lucky jim

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
z3
water ingress into motor is a common fault lots of advice on this sight all you will want to know lots; of write ups will explain all better than i can ....do not worry easy fix.

christian2932

water ingress into motor is a common fault lots of advice on this sight all you will want to know lots; of write ups will explain all better than i can ....do not worry easy fix.
The noise I'm hearing isn't coming from the motor, it's coming from under the top. The actual motor it's self isn't making any noise or anything. And the car has been in the garage since a new motor was put on.

lucky jim

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
z3
do you mean the noise is from the unlatch motor in the bulkhead above the windscreen ?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Is there a small Allen key (sort of S shaped) in your tool kit? Has the roof worked since you had the new motor fitted? Where did you have it fitted?

Tony.

ZippyZed4

Dedicated Member
2003 z4, the top won't close. Can hear a clicking noise but the motor it's self isn't doing anything. New to the car and not sure what it could be. Sounds like a constant clicking noise. Appreciate any input thank you
Hey Christian, Have you checked the “shelf” that goes left to right in the boot behind seats? There’s a shelf that has to be secured into a middle notch on the “wall” behind seats in boot… if this shelf isn’t sitting within this notch it will not open or close… it’s a process of elimination which may end in a drowned motor…. Hope you get it fixed 👍🏻👍🏻 (failing that make it into a targa top- long story 🤣)

ZippyZed4

Dedicated Member
You can close automatically if you go into boot find red hoop tag and pull / twist this allows the bypass of hydraulics 👍🏻